Lexus expands its SUV range with three-row versions of the RX – the RX 350L and RX 450hL (hybrid).
To accommodate the third row, Lexus said that they’ve extended the body length 4.3 inches (110 mm) at the rear and used a steeper tailgate window angle than on the two-row models – ensuring good headroom for third-row passengers.
The standard 7-seat version uses a 40/20/40 split bench-type second row seat. Access to the third row is made easy with the touch of a lever that slides and folds the second seat forward. The available 6-seat configuration features second-row captain’s chairs that is claimed to make third-row ingress/egress easier with “walk-in” convenience.
The positioning of the second row is slightly higher than the third row, creating more foot room for rear passengers. Leather-trimmed upholstery is standard for the first and second rows, in the choice of Black, Stratus Gray, Parchment or Noble Brown. A tri-zone climate control system gives third-row passengers separate heating and air conditioning vents, and for convenience, a power-folding third-row seat and power tailgate are both standard on the RX L models.
Exterior feature list includes Bi-LED headlamps, LED tail lamps, blacked-out C-pillars and 20-inch wheels. Lexus said, all 10 RX L paint colors feature a scratch-resistant self-restoring coat, using a high-performance macromolecular polymer.
Interiors get full-color Heads-Up Display (HUD), 8-inch infotainment, Navigation Package which includes a 12-speaker premium audio system, 12.3-inch high-resolution split-screen multimedia display offers a full-screen navigation map and so on. A 835-watt 15-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Surround System, heated/ventilated front seats can also be added as an option.
All RX models now offer Enform Safety Connect and Enform Service Connect complimentary for the first 10 years of vehicle ownership. Both were previously offered with a one-year trial.
Safety kit includes full-length side curtain airbags, Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Keep Assist, Intelligent High Beams and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert are available as options.
- 290 hp, 3.5-liter V6 engine.
- 8-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i).
- Available Active Torque Control AWD system uses an electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending on driving dynamics and road conditions.
- Lexus Hybrid Drive with 3.5-liter V6 engine, Motor Generator 1, Motor Generator 2 and a planetary-type electronic continuously variable transmission.
- 308 total system horsepower.
- Standard AWD with independent rear electric motor-generator.
- 37 kW nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH) hybrid battery.
Once in dealerships late this year, the RX 350L will have a starting Retail Price (MSRP) of $47,670 (FWD) and $49,070 (AWD).