Reporting its 2017 sales, Toyota Motor Europe sold 1,001,700 Toyota and Lexus vehicles – an increase of 8% from 2016. Total market share for the group increased to 4.8%.
Hybrid EV sales grew by 38% year-on-year to 406,000 units. Hybrid EVs now represent 41% of TME total sales, and an impressive 52% in Western Europe only.
Lexus contributes to the Hybrid EV success with an average mix of 60% of total sales and 98% in Western Europe. Lexus enjoyed its highest ever sales and 4th consecutive year of growth led by its SUV range, TME said.
The launch of Toyota C-HR led the way for the strong 2017, with almost 80% of C-HR customers choosing a Hybrid EV powertrain.
This strong performance in 2017 has been supported for passenger cars by Yaris Hybrid (+18%), RAV4 Hybrid (+31%) and for commercial vehicles with the new generation Hilux (+10%) and PROACE (+189%).
In Russia, the locally produced Camry and RAV4 managed to maintain their segment leadership despite the challenging market conditions, TME said.
Johan van Zyl, President & CEO of Toyota Motor Europe, said – “2017 has been a very good year for us. We have exceeded 1 million sales in the current challenging market environment, ahead of our 2020 target. This great achievement is highlighted by another absolute sales record of our Hybrid EVs and shows the confidence that European customers place in our Toyota and Lexus brands. Our Hybrid EV line-up of 16 Toyota and Lexus models, the largest in the automotive sector, drove this above market sales growth. With over 74,000 sales in 2017, its highest ever, Lexus remains on track to sell 100,000 vehicles in 2020.”
TME highlights for 2017:
- Total hybrid sales: 406,000 (+38% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 52% – East Europe*: 8% – TTL: 41%
Toyota highlights for 2017:
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (209,100); Auris Range (121,700); Toyota C-HR Range (120,800);
- Top gainers: Toyota C-HR (new); PROACE (+189%); Mirai (+118%); Hilux (+10%);
- Top hybrids : Toyota Yaris Hybrid (102,400); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (94,100); Auris Hybrid (82,400); RAV4 Hybrid (58,600)
- Total hybrid sales: 360,900 (+44% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 49.5% – East Europe*: 9.1% – TTL: 38.9%
Lexus highlights for 2017:
- Top sellers: NX Range (27,800); RX Range (18,900); CT200h (8,800)
- Top gainers: NX Range (+6%); CT200h (+5%); RX Range (+5%)
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (19,700); CT200h (8,800); RX hybrid (7,800)
- Total hybrid sales: 45,000
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 98.2% – East Europe*: 4.7% – TTL: 60.4%
*East Europe: Russia, Turkey, Israel, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Caucasus
While you're still here, checkout some cool stuff from our shopping partner below!