McLaren is happy to announce that they’ve built 15,000 cars at the McLaren Production Centre (MPC) in Woking, Surrey, in just 7 years of the company’s production history.
Although the name ‘McLaren’ dates back to 90s and further back, the ‘McLaren Automotive’ is fairly new, founded in 2010 by Ron Dennis.
The company introduced second production shift in 2016 to meet rising global demand, where the production doubled from around 10 cars a day to 20 cars. 90 per cent of the vehicles built in Woking are exported to more than 30 markets around the world.
McLaren achieved record sales in 2017, selling a total of 3,340 cars. Demand has been stimulated by the launch of two new products, the 570S Spider within the Sports Series and the 720S within the Super Series.
Around two-thirds of sales in 2017 came from the Sports Series and one-third from the Super Series. The new Ultimate Series model – Senna, has recently entered production and the first of just 500 customer cars will shortly be completed, the company said.
The 15,000th car is a 570S Spider finished in Curacao Blue.
Mike Flewitt, CEO, McLaren Automotive, said – “Reaching 15,000 cars built is a significant milestone for McLaren Automotive and comes under 18 months after we hit 10,000 vehicles, showing how demand and production have increased . The Sports Series has been pivotal to driving this growth, with the 570S Spider now the most popular of the range. The fact we are now able to produce 20 cars a day is of course a great testament to the hard work and dedication of every one of our workforce, who should feel justifably proud and part of this great team effort.”
McLaren Automotive timeline
- 2010 – McLaren Automotive founded as an independent company
- 2011 – McLaren Production Centre (MPC) opened in Woking
- 2011 – 12C Coupe launched
- 2012 – 12C Spider launched
- 2013 – McLaren P1 hybrid hypercar launched
- 2014 – 650S launched
- 2015 – 570S, 540C, 675LT and McLaren P1TM GTR launched
- 2016 – 675LT Spider launched, 10,000 cars built, Track 22 business plan launched
- 2017 – 720S, 570S Spider and McLaren Senna launched
- 2018 – 15,000 cars built milestone, MCTC set to open in Sheffield to produce carbon fibre chassis